Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Homemade Granola Bars


One good thing about the rainy weather this past Saturday is that I was able to catch up on some DVR'd episodes of Barefoot Contessa. These granola bars looked easy enough and the prefect thing to make for my breakfast for the following work week,

They were really easy and most of the ingredients I had in my pantry....

Make sure you keep an eye on these, start checking around 15 minutes. I managed to overcook them slightly at the recommended time of 25 minutes. They were still yummy but not as chewy as Ina's looked.

Ina choose to added a mixture of dried fruits to her granola bars but I'm guessing you could mix in what ever your favorites are.

Homemade Granola Bars by Barefoot Contessa
2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup honey
1/4 light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 spoon salt
1/2 cup chopped pitted dates ( i left these out. I don't even know what a date is)
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350, butter and 8x12 baking dish and line with parchment paper (very important)
Combine oatmeal, almonds and coconut on sheet pan and bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Transfer to mixing bowl and mix in the whet germ
Reduce oven to 300
Combine butter, honey, brown sugar and vanilla in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute then pour over oatmeal mixture. Then toss in dried fruits.

Place mixtures in to the prepared pan and press the mixture evenly in the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes till golden brown.

Let it cool for 2-3 hours before cutting.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try a another recipe (Palmiers,) found from "Joy the Baker" on your blog list...and I'm making more "Magic in the Middle" cookies also found on a link to link from your list at.."My Kitchen Cafe"....Thanks, Michelle

    ReplyDelete