Friday, August 21, 2009

Cookie Bars

As soon as I saw this recipe over at Brown Eyed Baker, I knew they would be the next thing I would bake. Cookie bars with chocolate chips and pretzels… sounded delicious and urgent. So as soon as I got off the train after work, I trekked over to the market to purchase some chocolate chips and a bag of pretzels. While in staring at the selection of chocolate chips, the thought dawned on me, use chocolate and peanut butter chips. Peanut butter makes everything better, right?

Chocolate/ Peanut Butter Chip & Pretzel Cookie Bars
Adapted from
Brown Eyed Baker

Makes 32 squares
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1½ sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I ran out of vanilla, had to use almond extract)
12-ounce bag bittersweet (or semisweet, if you prefer) chocolate chips (I used 1 bag tollhouse mixed chocolate & peanut butter chips)
1½ cups mini pretzel twists, coarsely chopped

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
2. In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt. Using a mixer beat the butter and both sugars at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Beat in the eggs and the vanilla extract. On low speed, beat in the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips and pretzel pieces.
3. Spread the batter evenly in the pan and press it down evenly with a spatula. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool completely.

**I left this step out due to sheer laziness but next time and make these I’ll put the in the effort
Melt chocolate chips and some peanut butter separately and then drizzle the chocolate and peanut butter over the top of the bars. Sprinkle the extra crushed pretzels on top. Let set and then cut into squares.




No comments:

Post a Comment